Familiarity can be a killer. Jesus could do very little to minister to the community he grew up in. Why? Because they saw him grow up and knew who his parents were. That allowed them to completely discount what he said and did. Sometimes someone can be so familiar we do not see them anymore. This story illustrates how important it is to recreate and reinvent so our world and spirit remain fresh and new.
- My dad trying to get his first loan to buy a house in Morganfield KY.He knew then if he was going to achieve his goals he could not continue to live in KY.
- Jesus was rejected in his hometown. Isn’t this the son of…
- Seminary crushed my little god box. Started me thinking.
- It was not easy! It was extremely hard for me to let go of everything I had believed. Scary, angry, long periods of living in ambiguity.
- I had lived with Jesus all my life. I have no memory of not knowing Jesus loves me this I know.
- While exploring other religions and philosophies I rediscovered Jesus
- Jesus Loves MeThis I know
- What made Jesus different? He taught from a place of wisdom and authority.
- Familiarity can breed unfruitfulness. Jesus could do very little in his home town.
- Why? We put our trust in what we have inherited rather than knowing something for ourselves.
- Communion, it will be different today. Like or not. It will be different. It is not familiar.
- Wonderful! Then we can experience it anew. (Troy play Jesus loves me while people are getting communion.)
- Knowing Jesus gives us incredible wisdom and power. His disciples were able to perform the same miracles he had performed.
Call to Celebration
God, you invite us into relationship as we are and where we are presently. There are no parts of ourselves we need to hide from you. May we have the courage to bring our brokenness into the light. May we find absolution in knowing nothing separates us from you. Amen
Full Service Service July 4
Mark 6:1-13 NIV
A Prophet Without Honor
6 :1Jesus left there and went to his hometown, accompanied by his
“Where did this man get these things?” they asked. “What’s this wisdom that has been given him? What are these remarkable miracles he is
4 Jesus said to them, “A prophet is not without honor except in his own town,among his relatives and in his own home.” 5 He could not do any miraclesthere, except lay his hands on a few sick people and heal them. 6 He was amazed at their lack of faith.
Jesus Sends Out the Twelve
Then Jesus went around teaching from village to village. 7 Calling the Twelve to him, he began to send them out two by two and gave them authority over im- pure spirits.
8 These were his instructions: “Take nothing for the journey except a staff—no bread, no bag, no money in your belts. 9 Wear sandals but not an extra
12 They went out and preached that people should repent. 13 They drove out many demons and anointed many sick people with oil and healed them.