Todays text is another in the, “The Kingdom of Heaven is Like,” series. It is important for us to note the Kingdom of Heaven is not out in space somewhere. Jesus teaches us it is within us. I believe The Kingdom of Heaven is the human soul. I find it interesting that when the Master discovers that Weeds had been planted in his field along with the Wheat he directed his servants not to pull them. They could uproot the wheat by doing so. I believe the Weeds are the toxic beliefs and behaviors that are planted in us as we grow up. The wheat is the heavenly resources we are born with. As we grow and mature we typically discover both the wheat and weeds in our life. As we mature further, it becomes easier to discard the weeds.
- We tend to mythologize our heroes into something they were not.
- High and Low Christology
- Did this parable come from Jesus’ life experience?
- Who and What is the Evil One?
- We all have weeds in our life. What are the weeds you have grown up with?
- Ten gallon love verses pint size love.
- The parable seems to imply we do not need to Hate the weeds because they serve a purpose. They are a part of us.
- We learn to live and deal with them
- The movie, A Beautiful Mind
- From the heights of notoriety to the depths of depravity, John Forbes Nash Jr. experienced it all. A mathematical genius, he made an astonishing discovery early in his career and stood on the brink of international acclaim. But the handsome and arrogant Nash soon found himself on a painful and harrowing journey of self-discovery.
- The wisdom of the Master
- Let both grow together until the harvest. At that time I will tell the harvesters: First collect the weeds and tie them in bundles to be burned; then gather the wheat and bring it into my barn.’
Call to Celebration
Eternal Truth, we come seeking enlightenment.
We have been shaped by many faith traditions.
Some ideologies have propelled us forward.
Some thoughts have stagnated us.
All lessons have been valuable.
All are not profitable.
Discernment is our tool for measuring what is worth preserving.
People Spirit of the Living God, as I grow in my awareness, help me to let go of the weeds that stifle my progress. Amen
God of Wisdom, expand our consciousness. Perhaps our past experiences have not always been good; however, they have given us knowledge. Suppressing and ignoring the weeds do not eradicate them. Acknowledging their presence can aide us in healing. The journey of self-discovery is endless, but so is love. Amen
Bringing in the Light
Celebrations and Concerns
Scripture & Sermon
Extinguishing the Light
Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43
A Prayer for Peace and Restoration
Holy One, you are the gardener of our souls. In our rush to pluck out the weeds because
they are uncomfortable, remind us that in the midst of weeds beauty and life are budding.
Rev. LaTrell Harrison