Call to Celebration
We gather in community to hear Good News from the Promised One.
Some recognize you by your titles.
Some identify you by miraculous acts.
We are delighted to be known as friends of God.
Title indicates power and authority.
Relationship reveals connection.
Status is variable.
Affirmation of personhood is a gift from God.
Enable us to see beyond titles.
May we be fully seen as children of Love.
God of Many Names, culture has taught us that there is value in titles. In your sight we are equals. May we let go of the idea that our worth is assessed by what is in front of and behind our names. May we see ourselves as gifted spirits, infused with the breath of God, to create love connections everywhere we go. Amen
Mark contrasts knowledge with ignorance, the Son of Humanity or God with man made gods or humans, and gaining or saving life with losing it. These polarities form the backbone of this narrative as they give insight into the life of discipleship as a whole.
- Jesus is walking and teaching his disciples in the region of Caesarea Philippi. Different gods were represented in the region. This is the back drop of Jesus’ question to his disciples.
- We too are surrounded by many gods. Which god dose follow?
- Who is Jesus?
- Who do others say Jesus is?
- Who do you say Jesus is?
- Is your answer one you have been taught or discovered within yourself.
- It is something we must figure out ourselves.
- Have you seen the grand canyon? Explain it to someone who has not. Not even pictures can describe it!
- I follow the life and teachings of Jesus because they work best for me in my relationship God, self and others.
- How do we know that Jesus was a special messenger to this earth and he was one with God?
- It is not a flesh and blood answer. It is a soul discovery.
- What does it mean to deny oneself and take up our own cross?
- McKenzie Milton
- This is a grand example.
- Most people cross journeys are not well publicized.
- They simply go about their business dealing with and overcoming what life puts in their path.
- What good is it to gain the world and lose one’s soul? If we are going to follow Jesus and commit ourselves to his teachings, life and example it seems our soul is the most important thing in the world to know and live by.
- Another question, Who do I say I am?
Full Service Service September 12th
Mark 8:27-38 NIV
Peter Declares That Jesus Is the Messiah
27 Jesus and his disciples went on to the villages around Caesarea Philippi. On the way he asked them, “Who do people say I am?”
28 They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, one of the prophets.”
29 “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?”
Peter answered, “You are the Messiah.”
30 Jesus warned them not to tell anyone about him.
Jesus Predicts His Death
31 He then began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and after three days rise again. 32 He spoke plainly about this, and Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him.
33 But when Jesus turned and looked at his disciples, he rebuked Peter. “Get behind me, Satan!” he said. “You do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”
The Way of the Cross
34 Then he called the crowd to him along with his disciples and said: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 35 For whoever wants to save their life[a] will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it. 36 What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? 37 Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? 38 If anyone is ashamed of me and my words in this adulterous and sinful generation, the Son of Man will be ashamed of them when he comes in his Father’s glory with the holy angels.”
A Lord's Prayer
Dear Lord Jesus Christ
You fill our heart's with
Your happiness and delight
And we cherish you in my heart's
Every day and night
And we pray for the sick
And suffering tonight
And you'll keep us all safe and
Warm sheltered from the
Coronavirus storm and
You are always in our heart's
Every day your there to stay and we
Will always love you forever in life
Amen Lord Jesus Christ.
By: David P Carroll.